So you’ve made the decision to go ahead and get braces. Congratulations, you’ve made a wonderful decision to make your smile the brightest and straightest it can be. Your Martinsburg orthodontist, Dr. Sebbahi has several helpful tips for your consideration on what you can and should do in preparation for your braces.
How To Prepare For Braces, According To Martinsburg Orthodontist, Dr. Sebbahi
- Be sure to have a proper dental cleaning prior to getting your braces.
- Plan to ease your mild discomfort with over the counter pain relievers containing naproxen sodium, ibuprofen, or acetaminophen.
- Prepare for proper oral hygiene while you have your braces. Our 5-star-rated Martinsburg orthodontist recommends the following for keeping your teeth clean:
- A fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash – Fluoride helps prevent tooth decay and will help remove debris that brushing alone may not reach.
- A waterpik – An electric or battery operated toothbrush, or a proxabrush may help remove plaque and clean behind or between the teeth and brackets and other hard to reach areas.
- An oral analgesic – This comes in liquid, gel, and paste, and it may help soothe sores inside your mouth while adjusting to your braces.
- Ask your Martinsburg orthodontist for a customized mouthguard – Participating in sports that involve physical contact with other players or a thrown ball could result in facial injury, stitches, veneers, or resetting the braces entirely if hit in the mouth. You should ask your Martinsburg orthodontist to provide you with a custom mouthguard once treatment has started, since over-the-counter mouthguards typically won’t fit over braces or provide proper protection.
Getting braces is nothing to be afraid of at our Martinsburg orthodontic office– it’s the next step in the process of perfecting your smile. Should you have any concerns prior to getting braces or about getting braces, consider RS Orthodontics. Call today or click here to schedule your complimentary RS Ortho Smile Assessment!
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our Martinsburg orthodontic office would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Meet RS Orthodontics
Martinsburg Orthodontist For Braces, Invisalign & Orthodontics
Our 5-star-rated Martinsburg orthodontist, Dr. Sebbahi, specializes in braces, Invisalign, early orthodontic treatment. Come experience state-of-the-art quality orthodontic care at our Martinsburg orthodontic office. Whether you are seeking a second opinion or are exploring potential types of braces, Dr. Sebbahi has it all! Call RS Orthodontics at 304.596.2556 to get started!